Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dumplings, beer, sachertorte, schnitzel. Rinse. Repeat.

Bear Necessities...!
Clockwise from 12 o'clock:
* Chocolate Chip roller bag
* Backpack doubles as weapon
* Adapters for European outlets
* Decoy wallet with expired credit cards - yes, in case I get mugged!
* Half a dozen Starbucks VIA - no more undrinkable airplane coffee
* Happy Van
* Prague tour book from the King County Library - your tax dollars at work!
* US Passport, in case I want to come home
* Money belt - yes, in case I get mugged!
* Journal and pen
* Binoculars
* "Black Gold" - last of my Starbucks Tribute Blend for Couch Surfer host/hostess
* Neck pillow

Well, friends, I am ready for Grande Adventure #2:  I am heading to Prague - the one in the Czech Republic, not Oklahoma - tomorrow!  Our Couch Surfer friends, Jan Patrick and Kristyna, whom we have hosted in early July, shall become my host/hostess this time around.  I will visit and Surf with them at Pardubice, an hour or so train ride east of Prague. 

Unless I make any grande detour, which is entirely possible, I shall be in Krakow, Poland, by early next week with a side trip to Auschwitz; and then Vienna, Austria by next weekend.  The return trip may include Brno before I finally reach Prague again, and come home via JFK on the 15th of September. 

I don't speak a word of German or Polish.  I have purposely done little planning, so I am just going to blend in with What Is.  Telling a project manager to not plan is almost the equivalence of telling a scorpion to not sting.  OK, may be not the exact equivalence but close...  I am proud to say I did really well.  I did let myself  check the train schedule...just to confirm that there ARE indeed overnight trains from Pardubice to Krakow and Vienna.  Other than that,  I have basically delegated the bulk of the research to Katie, my niece, who is my travel companion.  A girl's trip!  We intend to make this a Grande Food tour that includes dumplings, beer, chocolate, crepes, schnitzel, and that's just the beginning.   Girls gotta eat! 

I am excited for the trip, of course, but not the "OMG-I-won't-be-able-to-sleep-tonight" excitement.  It is an experience that I look forward to.  I hope to meet some new friends; try some new stuff; drink some good beer.   

I may have to miss you for two weeks, as I am not bringing my computer on the trip.  I will definitely miss blogging, but will rely on my journal to keep up with my writing. 

Would you please visit when I return? 



3 comments:

  1. I will be herre when you return! Safe journey my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an amazing time, and take more COFFEE!!! xoxo Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, RaNae and Laurie!! Will post updates on FB whenever possible!
    P.S. I did have another handful of VIA in my luggage. Never leave home without it...

    xoxo
    D.

    ReplyDelete