Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Is this my sign of ADHD?!

I have been on my sabbatical for six weeks.  I feel a subtle shift inside.  Nothing like the "seismic changes" you hear politicians or business leaders often spew about in their motivational speeches.  Mine is ever so subtle, yet ever so pronounced. Somehow I become less fearful, especially of things unfamiliar; and less tolerant of nonsense.  Any nonsense.  And I feel more in tune.  With myself but also those around me, whether loved ones or strangers.    

Six weeks into my leave and I am reaping the purpose and benefits of a sabbatical. I do my best to live in the present.  I don't allow myself the nonsense of worrying what is to come in January of 2012, when I am due back at work.  I am not giving in to a well-planned itinerary to Central Europe and Hong Kong, except the basics of booking a round-trip ticket.  I am experiencing how to live in the present, in the moment.  I honestly believe it is more difficult than most people think or give thoughts to.  Unless we consciously live in the present, our mind often does not allow us to do just that.  We constantly try to gain some sort of control over some things or someone or some situations.       

I know.  Summer sunshine in Seattle tends to make everything seems Pollyanna.  I do not mind leaving my rose-colored glasses on for a while longer, thank you very much.  

I have the fortune and luxury of living the "life of leisure".  Meeting up with friends and getting caught up on life.  I have also been doing things by myself a lot more. Get up and go.  Move.  Do stuff.  Life doesn't wait.  Neither should I.   

I have been home from my road trip for seven days and I have gone skating by the beach five times.  I remind myself that the summer sun will be gone when it's gone. It does not owe us any warnings. I went target shooting at the range.  I went for bike rides. I went to the driving range.  I get caught up with friends through dinners and lunches and coffees and walks.  I joined a Women's Outdoor Adventures Group. And I cooked and I grilled and I baked bread.  I read; I blogged; and I painted.  All in seven days!  I guess if the Earth was supposedly created in six days, my record isn't too shabby! 

Eric couldn't be happier for me; it relieves quite a bit of pressure from him.  I couldn't be happier, as I am doing exactly what I want, when I want.  It is a healthy sign of interdependence that we have always enjoyed.  It becomes extra lovely when we spend time and do activities together.  

Wait.  But I have not cleaned house or vacuumed.  Perhaps that can wait.  May be until the Fall - I have my limit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment