Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Gift

Don't worry about what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive and do that.  Because what the world needs are people who have come alive.  ~Howard Thurman


I have a gift.  It sounds almost arrogant to say that. 

I do not mean it as a boastful statement.  It is simply an acknowledgement of something bestowed upon me.  I have been given something Good despite my ability, intellect, or wealth.  Or lack thereof.

Eric said I have a gift to Nurture Others Through Food.  I think he may be on to something.  I love my gift, and am always grateful for it.  It is the nurturing of a relationship THROUGH creating something from scratch, by hand.  Patiently, and sometimes painstakingly.  It is personal.  Direct.  Satisfying and gratifying.  All at the same time.  It is more than my love for baking or cooking.

My scant culinary repertoire will never allow me to open a bakery or a bistro, nor do I want to.  There is a standing joke at the Gilman household:  How do you make a million bucks in a bakery?  Start with a million and a half.  A bakery is definitely out. 

However, my imaginary boulangerie will feature a "fusion of new world rustic Jewish delights and heirloom artisan Chinese pastries"...  (In case you have not noticed, the current culinary rule dictates everything rustic, heirloom, and artisan, from bread to vinegar to chicken stock.  That is, until the rule changes.)

All joking aside, I often wonder how I can use this Gift and make the lives around me just a little sweeter, a little tastier, and a little more playful.  I question if the act would be cheapened, become less nurturing, if I slap a price tag on my "rustic Jewish challah infused with organic artisan cinnamon", even just to cover ingredient cost.  I worry about details like these because money changes the dynamics of everything.  I want to guard my Gift so money doesn't pollute it. 

I think I have a worthy cause to consider.  Meanwhile, please enjoy a slice of virtual chocolate cake, slather some butter on the multigrain rolls, have a cup of soup, or a coconut mochi. 




Ethereal cocktail buns that are good for the soul and the waist line...


A handful of homegrown raspberries
makes everything from good to OMG!


I told you so!

Who says comfort food has to look like slop?
My Japanese comfort food:  Chuwanmushi
"Rustic Jewish challah infused with organic artisan cinnamon" 


Gingerly folding egg white into waffle batter
My eggo is prettier than your eggo!


Slather butter all over me immediately!
Julia Child will never steer you wrong -
her French Onion Soup takes time, but well worth the efforts.
Just a dash of Cognac makes wonder.
"Pick Me Up" some Tiramisu

Vietnamese fresh rolls
One of my favorite things to eat, but least favorite things to make -
simply because of the repetitiveness 

The main focus of this photo is actually the plate -
my favorite plate EVER.
Yup.  I made it.
My first attempt on glass making.

Slather butter all over me, too!  

"I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and gay!
And I pity, any girl who isn't me today!"  - Westside Story 1961



No comments:

Post a Comment