Friday, October 14, 2011

第三個極大探險: The Third Grande Adventure

Since my Grande Adventure shall take me to Hong Kong and China, a little Chinese on my blog is deemed entirely appropriate. 

I am heading to Hong Kong tonight via Vancouver.  I predict a grande good time on this grande adventure.  So first, here's to safe travels.  

My bags are packed.  I am your local TSA and airlines attendants' model traveler: My airlines days taught me well...   Checking one roller-bag size suitcase - sure it weighs three tons - but it is for five weeks away from home.  A (real) carry-on bag with my laptop, and my purse.  That is it!  Of course, in my old airlines days I would have never checked any bags...  Industry motto:  A checked bag is a lost bag.  

I packed T-shirts and shorts for the sunny high 70's in Hong Kong; jackets and jeans for Beijing and the cold weather in November.  I got hiking clothes; I got going-out-to-dinner clothes; I got everyday-grocery-shopping clothes.  I even stuffed three pairs of shoes in the suitcase.  The gauge to my success in packing is that I would wear every single item I pack for the trip.  Let's see how I do.  

Friends asked if I am excited. Well, do bears shit in the woods?  The answer is "obviously!"  Just look at all the gifts I packed.  I won't even go there.  

I look forward to simply being there - doing everything or doing nothing.  Spending time with my mom and dad and my siblings' families.  Picture this:  Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday morning, I go to Tai-Chi with Mom and Dad at 7am. I have not gotten out of bed at 6 o'clock for three months!   As seen in movies:  At a local park in the middle of a city that houses 7 million people during morning commute.  Tai-Chi class in session.    Elderly individuals (plus me) lined up orderly, Tai-chi'ing in the early morning sun.  It's a perfect Facebook post.  I will have to sweet-talk the instructor to let me follow along.  I will promise not to trip grandmas, or poke anyone in the eyes...  I am afraid I may have been a bit overly ambitious.   How does one Tai-Chi before coffee anyway?  Sounds downright outrageous.  Sure, I will post photos. 

I look forward to getting reacquainted with some "aunts and uncles" - they have been friends with my parents for 60+ years.  They have known me since birth, but they do not know me.  Hopefully there are chances for some good and meaningful conversations.  Oddly, I am also looking forward to being called by my nickname. This auntie used to call me "Tapioca" - I must say it sounds a lot cuter in Chinese.  I don't know why my nickname was Sai-Mai.  Perhaps I was so cute and little...like a tapioca.  But nobody else except her and her family called me that.  No, you may not call me Tapioca. 

I look forward to my dad's cooking.  My dad is a genius in the kitchen.  Give him a block of tofu, may be an ounce or two of meat, a dash of soy sauce and some spices, he will cook up the most delectable dish that rivals any chefs in Chinatown. Regrettably Dad doesn't make award-winning flat bread pizza.  Since few Chinese dads do, I'll cut him some slack.

Before long, I'll be going around Hong Kong like a local, except, I stick out like a sore thumb.  I move too slowly. 

Thanks for checking in.  I'll be reporting on the other side of the globe.  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment