Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sabbatical Epilogue: A "Slightly New" Lease on Life



To say I've gotten a new lease on life after my sabbatical is just a tad too dramatic. After all, I am simply adjusting to a few perspectives developed during this time. I want something to help me remember, appreciate, and apply the insights so they do not drown in the noise or daily doldrums.  Instead of the customary ramble, I challenge myself to succinctly capture my thoughts in just a few paragraphs.      

Or perhaps through a few quotes.   


#  #  #

I have gained a deep appreciation that my life is about being light and playful, with intermittent moments of seriousness; not the other way around.  Learning how to live lightly and playfully encourages expressions and promotes feelings - senses and skills we sorely lack nowadays.  How do two people make meaningful connections without expressing feelings?  And what kind of life would it be without meaningful human connections?   


I used to wonder - and ponder - what and how I can "contribute" to the greater good in the world.  A quote from Dr. Howard Thurman sums up perfectly:  "Don't worry about what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive and do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive."  Over the last six months, what repeatedly made me feel alive was sometimes an activity; sometimes a personal connection; perhaps a feeling; or a fresh idea.  Yes, I came totally alive every time I basked in my Fresh Idea. I remember now.  


A simple quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. reminded me that "our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."  I was also poignantly reminded that no one is silent though many are not heard; work to change this. Stand up, and stand tall.  My cause depends on it, as does my backbone.  I am to continue to champion the causes that I am passionate about and believe in.  No apologies needed.      

Lastly, the genius Albert Einstein bestowed his wisdom.  "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.  The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."  This continues to be a tough lesson and realization.   Aspire to become a Great Spirit and determined to break away from Mediocrity, I began to take numerous introspective looks to examine what I am and what I aspire to become.  What myths am I willing to forego; tribes from which to turn my back.  What journeys am I willing to forge forward; and paradigms to challenge.  What mediocrities am I willing to leave behind, forever.  


How long does one take to become a Great Spirit?  


Here's a paradox:  Would I remain what I am if I believe what someone says about me?  

  



















1 comment: