Saturday, July 9, 2011

A quick trip to the fifth national park in America

View of Mt. Rainier from the south
The big mountain was cool.

I remember watching a Ken Burns film on PBS three or four months ago called The National Parks:  America's Best Idea.  Not only am I a nerd, I am a nerd with PBS membership status:  I "heart" PBS shows.  

So I guess it makes me feel pretty smart when I make the following announcement:  "We took Albatross for a systems check "fam trip" to Mt. Rainier National Park, an active volcano, and the fifth national park created in America after President McKinley signed the bill then passed by Congress in 1899."   

We entered the park from the southwest, the Nisqually Entrance, and camped at Cougar Rock between Longmire and Paradise.  Johanna, a Couch Surfer from Singapore who stayed with us a month ago and now working at the Paradise Inn for the summer, joined us for a one-pot-gourmet and camped with us for the night.  

One-pot-gourmet tasted extra good when you cooked it in the van. 

A quick 24-hour turnaround gave us a glimpse of some wildlife, a short hike up Carter Falls, a perfect bluebird sky.  Not a bad practice run leading up to the grand departure next week.  

Johanna setting up her tent
One of several foxes we saw in Paradise
On the way to Carter Falls

Deer feeding just several feet from the van

Below Mt. Rainier

2 comments: