Sunday, August 25, 2013

In Kindness and In Health - Part II

The Story of a Toothbrush - The Sequel

#                     #                    # 

I did it.  Eric's toothbrush.  I tossed it.  

I debated whether to post something so personal on my blog.  There is a lot of healing power in practicing vulnerability.  In putting yourself "out there."  In sharing.

I was an opportunist.  I knew I would be spending time with friends tonight.  I would have good company.  It would be safe for me to do the inevitable.  Right before I left the house, I threw away the toothbrush.  Then I took the garbage to the curb.  I never looked back.   

I don't feel sad or bad, but I do not feel it was an accomplishment.  I feel positive about the timing, and that's plenty.  

I did it ahead of my schedule.  Way ahead of schedule.  For that, I'll give myself a pat on the back.  

Well done, Daisy. 


2 comments:

  1. Life is full of small steps that, at a glance, don't look like major accomplishments - but truly major accomplishments are made of these small steps. Somehow when I saw the picture of the toothbrush I knew immediately what you'd done. You are strong and lovely and very wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Linda. The feeling is so complex. I know it is a very positive step forward, but I don't want to claim victory of any kind. The act itself just didn't feel pleasant, no matter how necessary and important it was. It's like having a root canal, or a colonoscopy, I guess... Unpleasant, yet important. How's that for a metaphore.

      Thank you for your love and support, Linda. I love that you keep reading my blog. It is very helpful for my grieving.

      Delete