Saturday, June 11, 2011

$4.99 Radios




I've been sharing this short twenty minutes video, created by Annie Leonard, for several years.  Every time I watch it, I learn a little more.  


Let me start by saying that I don't agree with every detail Ms. Leonard narrated.  I find the film a bit one-sided, and nothing is ever one-sided. Unfortunately, some critics have also used this film as a political forum.  Let me preface that this is not a forum for political debates.  If you enjoy this video, I recommend that you also Google other videos and articles on "The Story of Stuff Critique" to acquire a balanced view of the topic.     

To me, the value of the video is to trigger thoughts on consumerism - not capitalism, to plant a basic idea of how consumer goods are typically made, and the complicated and global environmental and economical impacts of Stuff. 


I am not naive.  I recognize that consumerism, the Golden Arrow of Consumption, is a complicated topic.  The survival of the world's inhabitants depends on it.  Any reduction of consumerism creates downward social and economic spirals.  I am not trying to "tackle" consumerism.  I gave it the title "$4.99 Radios" for a specific reason - MY long path and aspiration of becoming an informed consumer.  

My path will take a lifetime.  To become an informed consumer does not mean to simply adopt or follow the message of the film, but to examine whether the message is congruent with my own value.  To start, I am to examine introspectively my value and position on "consumerism". Where and how is my Stuff made?  Why should I I care? Is a $149 portable radio made more  responsibly than a $4.99 radio? Would that have less negative social impacts?  Less environmental footprint?  How do I know that?  Do I know my answer based on facts, myths, perceptions, emotions, or a little bit of everything?  How often have I fallen as prey of ads, marketing, and perceived obsolescence?  


The goal of this life-long path is that if I choose to buy the $4.99 radio, I do so with consciousness and awareness, and acknowledge the upstream and downstream effects of my decision.  My resources are finite and limited; I may still choose to buy that radio or I may not.  That's the "gray area".  It is simply unrealistic and impossible to cease participation as a world consumer.  How about taking one baby step closer of becoming an alert and informed one?      

This mission takes so much work, not only to research but to examine my thoughts, apply my learning, to eventually shift my paradigm and change my behaviors.  Thinking is exhausting.     

Whether you agree with the message of the film, my hope is that in our very own and private ways, we all examine our role as a consumer of World resources. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Ari. Hope you had a chance to view the film.
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete