Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chapter 53: There isn't a name for me


If pain isn't linear, and grief isn't circular, then who can say healing actually exists?The worst, just as the best, technically, can still be "yet to come."  


I wonder why there is a specific word for a wife who has lost a husband, and a husband who has lost a wife - a widow and a widower.  I have never thought about that before, let alone cared about it.  There isn't a word that I know of for a mother who has lost a son; a sister who has lost a brother; a person who has lost a best friend.  Not even two people who are engaged to be married.  And yet, there is a specific word for a married couple who has lost a spouse.  As if they would carry more weight than all other relationships, regardless of the merit of their marriage.

Why?   

Now that I am a widow, it defines precisely and legally what - or whom - I have lost.  Who has died.  Why I grieve.  Why I am absent-minded.  Why I behave oddly. Maybe acting nonchalantly.  It appears that being crowned a widow suddenly gives me a license to do all of that without facing criticism.  

What if, I want to be known that the person who died is actually more than just a person commonly known as "husband?"  What if he is so much more, so much bigger, so much, well, whatever else.  Why isn't there a name for it?  I want to have a name for it, be called something else, and STILL have the license to grieve deeply. To behave oddly.  To be absent minded.  Not just because I have lost a husband. But so much more.  To be fair, losing a husband, alone, is already more than I can bear.        

What if I just want to crawl into a hole and stay there for a while.  What if I don't want to move forward.  What if progress is actually just an illusion of the mind? But seriously.  Since nothing is linear or circular, and everything is multi-dimensional, what if healing is all but a hoax!?  

All the rhetorical questions with no answers.  Unfortunately, I remember all too vividly: we were used to getting no answers.  

I know no grief, until now.  









No comments:

Post a Comment