Thursday, October 31, 2013

Small Things Matter




Every once in a while, I come across the reading that was chosen for our wedding.

At some point, I am to come to terms with the fact that I no longer have a wedding anniversary to celebrate.  It stopped at Seven years, and didn't make it to Eight. The opinionated, stubborn, black-and-white side of me will insist that there will be no celebration beyond Seven.  I do not want to be in the "it would have been Eight" state.  I don't even like hearing those words.  You either are, or are not; have, or have not.  Like pregnancy, it is all very black and white.

#               #              #

Small things matter
Small things like never being too old to hold hands.
Like remembering to say "I love you" and mean it as you say it.

It is never going to sleep angry at each other.
It is keeping a sense of appreciation for each other while giving yourself fully.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
It is standing together facing the wind.
It is creating a circle of love that draws in family and friends.
It is doing things for each other, not in attitude of duty, but in the spirit of joy.

It is expressing gratitude in thoughtful ways
and not looking for perfection in each other.

It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding, and a sense of humor.
It is fostering the capacity to forgive.
It is giving each other nurturance and space to grow.

It is finding room for the things of the spirit.
It is a common search for things positive and beautiful.
It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

#               #              #

I hope I never stop learning how to be the right partner.  I hope I never forget, nor do I need to remember.  I hope it all simply becomes the fabric that makes up who I am.

It all just becomes me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment