Saturday, December 21, 2013

Three More Minutes of Light

File:NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg


The grand return of Winter Solstice symbolically brings me much hope and beauty.  I said "symbolically" because in reality, everyday brings me much hope and beauty. Yet, I need and look for significant milestones to mark progress in life.  We all do. Mine is Winter Solstice.  

Winter Solstice is one of my favorite events of the year, after my birthday, and the New year.  I'm a sucker for calendar dates that symbolize newness, rebirth, hope.  I always celebrate those days with reflection and gratitude, and secretly hope for mounts of presents… 

This Solstice, I don't have grand aspirations on how to live my life "more fully."  I think what I have been doing is grand enough.  This year's Return of Light symbolically gives me the grandest permission for rebirth.  The rebirth of relationships with myself and others.  The rebirth of perspectives and directions. The rebirth of my belief system.  The rebirth of love and intimacy.  The rebirth of rebirth itself.  

I now use the phrase "All In" with profound significance and meaning.  I have few reservations with my approach with life.  I think I am finally brave.

I recently discovered this short five-minute film and it captivated me, perhaps because I instantly saw Eric in it.  It's bravery, courage, All In. Let this film and its message be our grand aspiration.  





"My heroes are my belay partners.  Blind people who cross the streets by themselves.  And those who discovered that inside, we're all capable of surprising ourselves."   



     


1 comment:

  1. Me too!! Ever since I moved away from living on the equator, this is what I mostly appreciate about Christmas and Winter Solstice - the increasingly lengthening days that follow. And Spring Solstice/Equinox signifies to me that the likelihood of snowy roads is mostly over. L, K.

    ReplyDelete