Monday, September 26, 2011

My take on Taking a Stand

I recently read a blog entry about “Making a Statement versus Taking a Stand” from the Cinnabar Story blog. 

The short entry describes what it takes for people to merely make a statement, and what it means, fundamentally, to take a stand.  Obviously, all opinions are those of the author, but I think it is worth clicking on the link and five minutes of your time.  I find myself re-reading and reflecting upon it every so often.    

The article describes that anyone can put up a bumper sticker or quote an author and make some statement with that.  But taking a stand requires a lot more: clarity, understanding, insight, information; in other words, work.  It goes on describing that taking a stand is an act of self-respect and trust, and an expression of love for oneself.  I thought that is an interesting perspective.

I have not thought of “taking a stand” being a reflection or an expression of self-respect or self-love.  Instead, I often think about a person taking a stand for a cause, for an organization or political party, or for an issue.  The article challenged me to think a level deeper.  If I “take a stand”, what personal connection does it make?  What reflects upon my actions when I “take a stand” for a cause, an organization, or an issue?

To meaningfully “take a stand” requires an investment of time and efforts.  To gain information, clarity and understanding of the stance itself.  It also requires actions that are beyond putting up a bumper sticker, quoting some famous authors, or the simple acts of following one rigid belief system without questioning its validity.   A belief system is always forced upon a person during the upbringing - by the society, its culture, or the “tribe”, and is often passed down expectedly as the “truth”, or the “natural ways things ought to be.”  Let me preface by clarifying that I do not think a belief system is a "bad" thing, but it is just that, a belief system.  Unless we were raised by wolves, we were ALL brought up under SOME system(s) that has/have rigid believes and rules.  (Even wolves have a natural order that the pack expectedly follows, although it is not a “belief” system.)  We involuntarily “belong” to some tribes, such as our family, the society within which we grew up.  Other tribes, we voluntarily join, such as our employment, friends, class, political and religious affiliations, social clubs and teams, etc. 

Each belief system differs, depending on the tribe, although some may overlap.  Each has far reaching tentacles covering various topics:  views on gods and death, moral values, friendship, sexuality, parental expectations, relationships, heroism, marriage assumptions, wealth, materialism, and not least of which, myths of all kinds. 

Since it takes time to learn and gain understanding on a subject, it goes without saying that our knowledge on that said subject should increase providing that we continue to explore and learn.  This increased knowledge may challenge - or support – our original belief system, and we must be nimble and willing to accept such possibility.  

So, if “Taking a Stand” on a subject requires "Gaining Understanding and Clarity" of the said subject, and “Gaining Understanding and Clarity” requires “Nimbleness and Willingness to alter our rigid belief system”, then “Taking a Stand” on a subject requires “Nimbleness and Willingness to alter our rigid belief system”!  (If A=B, and B=C, then A=C)   Let’s not overthink; I think it really is that simple. 

What does all this postulation have to do with ANYTHING!?   Everything, and nothing at all.   Nothing has any value unless you are able to relate it to your personal life.  So I link this “If A=B, B=C, then A=C” theory to my life.  I did a little reflection when I make statements, and when I actually take a stand.  I suddenly awake to the fact that I make statements all day long, all day strong, consciously and subconsciously:  the clothes I wear, the coffee I drink, where I get my groceries, the food I eat, the mode of transportation I take, the comments I make on Facebook.  Many of these statements are inevitable as they simply become a part of my life, and are manifested as such.

On the other hand, I can only readily think of one - ONE - stand I take, consciously and relentlessly, as an expression of love for myself above all else, of self-respect and trust.  And that is my love for nature, which largely impacts my many decisions but especially my conscious choice on food and food sources.  As I spend time and gain understanding on the topic, it continues to challenge my paradigm and my belief system.  No doubt I will discover a new horizon upon the old horizon.  It goes through exciting phases of discovery.  I think taking this one stand is all I can handle right now.

As for the hundreds of statements I subconsciously make everyday, I think I will approach them with an attitude and understanding that they are just that:  statements.  Don’t fool myself into giving them more than their face value:  A closetful of Patagonia jackets does not make me an environmentalist; a pair of Ugg boots over leggings does not make one a fashionista; a pair of faux Valentino sunglasses certainly does not make a celebrity sighting (although there were rumors that Kim Kardashian was strutting around the West Seattle Farmer’s Market…it was me...)  The point is, be self-aware of what those statements are, and are not.


Disclaimer:  The Cinnabar Story Blog is written by Eric, who happens to be my husband.  This is not a promotion for Eric’s blog, merely my self-reflection as a result of our open and honest discussions on many topics.  But, it is a damn good blog!










2 comments:

  1. I love your random thoughts Daisy! Why don't we live closer so we could go to coffee and gab!!!???

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. I am glad you like it.

    If we were to live closer, we would be having coffee and gabbing all day long...but then who would write our blogs!!? :-D

    ReplyDelete