Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Making connection one Couch at a time

For every random reason I can muster up to not visit Jan Patrick and Kristyna in the Czech Republic, there is a reason I should.  One reason I should go is quite plain and simple:  Because I can.  

Life doesn't wait.  Neither should I.  So, I booked my flight to the Czech Republic.  Prague, here I come.  


What I am most proud of and excited about my decision is not merely the physical visit to Central Europe, a land unfamiliar to me.  The far greater sense of satisfaction is how this decision came about.  

My decision to visit the Czech Republic is a direct result of the non-profit international network called CouchSurfing.org.  My story is a testament of what this online network is meant to do:  Connecting travelers with locals where people can explore and create meaningful connections with others they encounter.  

Connections are not always meaningful, of course, but when people "click", it is downright awesome.  

Jan Patrick and Kristyna have been traveling in the US and have "surfed" with us for two nights ("surfing" as in staying with a local as a guest in their home.)  You may find pictures of them on another blog entry, "Sabbatical Day One".  We shared a meal, went for a bike ride on Alki Beach, told dumb jokes, had great conversations about stuff.  I would say that we all "clicked".  They are some of the most down-to-earth, genuine people I have met.  I was sad to see them leave, and wished that they would join us camping at Mt. Rainier; instead, they headed west to the Olympic national forest.  So we bid our farewell.  Before they left, they extended their warm invitation and welcome for a visit to their homeland.  

Until their visit a week ago, I could hardly name the four countries that share a border with the Czech Republic, let alone understanding any meaningful history about her.  The truth is, I probably would not think I am missing an awful lot if I never visit Central Europe in person. Jan Patrick and Kristyna changed my paradigm.  This small, landlocked country suddenly comes alive because I now have the human connection. I feel like I am a tourist with a purpose:  To visit my new friends and to explore what their life is all about, in their native country.  

Surely I will still visit historical buildings and roam the streets for souvenirs.  More than that, the Czech Republic has stepped out of the postcard and become, meaningful.  

Thanks to CouchSurfing, my world has just become a little smaller.  A bit more manageable.  



No comments:

Post a Comment