Friday, July 22, 2011

One-Pot-Gourmet

My mom thinks I dine on boiled potatoes and plain water on road trips. I do not know what mothers typically worry about their adult children; I do know though regardless of their children's age, mothers always worry about something.  In my case, my mom "worries" that I do not have enough to eat, or I will get eaten by a bear.  Either case, I am most certain it is not going to happen on this trip. 

I patiently explain to Mother the best I can that we eat very well while on road trips.  Not T-Bone-Steak-and-Lobster-Tail good, but Wholesome-Nutritious-and-Finger-Lickin' good.  My one-pot-gourmet rocks the house.  More appropriately, it rocks the van. 

Homemade sausage, mushrooms,
celery, carrots, and soba noodles
It was definitely Soup Season camping at Heart Lake last night - it was raining as if I never left Seattle. I decided the gourmet du jour shall be sausage soup with soba noodles.  We sneaked across the border (shhhh!) some vacuum packed homemade sausages - it flavored the soup base.  Added some carrots, celery, mushrooms.  Fifteen minutes later we got a pot of steaming soup that any black bears would envy.  Thankfully, none of them visited so we slept through the rainy night.  By the way, mother, I did not get eaten by a bear either.  

Steaming hot soup.  Let's eat!


3 comments: