Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Canada!

This is it.  Today's the day.  It's a glorious day.  Sunny. Warm. Everyone is in a good mood.  It is...Canada's birthday! 


Well, that, and it is also my long awaited sabbatical. Hooah!!!  The well wishes. The hugs.  The high-fives and the fist-bumps.  The momentous departure.  


I feel - the same.  


Of course I am excited about the long vacation.  You couldn't get me to respond to another email if my dinner depends on it.  I just didn't have the fireworks or the heart palpitation.  That was probably a good thing - I prefer easy transitions over seismic changes.
  
I wonder what "Day One" feels like - but Day One isn't tomorrow.  Day One won't come until Tuesday, July 5. Afterall, this IS a 3-day weekend and nobody in the office works on the Independence Day weekend. Tuesday is different.  Tuesday is real. Tuesday doesn't allow rolling out of bed and drinking coffee in the garden.  It requires actions, answers, decisions, attention.  Tuesday has emails, conference calls, meetings, "one-on-one's".  Tuesday is real!


Tuesday mandates  a new routine.  I am no longer a part of the actions, answers, decisions, attention.  My routine no longer includes reaching for the Not-So-Smart smartphone when I get ready for work - not that anything was ever that important in my world, but I liked making it seem so.  The biggest decision I have to make first thing in the morning is whether to grind the Casi Cielo beans or the Tribute Blend for my cuppa.  Well, that's important.  I wonder how I'll adjust to that.  


So far, I think I'm doing quite well.  I deleted all the emails in my inbox. All of them.  I chuckled at the last one that came through about 20 minutes ago. Somebody else will take great care of it.  Life has moved on.


I feel the same, yes, but I do feel incredibly...free.  



1 comment:

  1. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! You deserve it friend. I can't wait to read about all your fantastic adventures over the next 6 months. :)

    ReplyDelete