Monday, November 21, 2011

Hong Kong: Chapter 8 - "Epilogue"



Sometimes I am sickeningly efficient: my luggage was unpacked within two hours after I got home.  The washing machine was making its familiar hum as I laundered the last load of T-shirts and shorts for the season.  If you visit my house, you would not even notice I was gone for five weeks, except may be a few snacks on the counter that are clearly not "local".  Everything at the house is back to normal. 

I received a "Reminder to Return to Work" in the mail yesterday and it made my blood pressure shot up by twenty points.  My sabbatical is coming to an end - only seven more weeks remaining.  The inevitable is quickly approaching...so I thought, a short epilogue may be helpful in bringing everything back to perspective.  


Before I fret further, I decided a skate by the beach would be smart - never take for granted a sunny weekend in Seattle, especially in the winter.  


I don't know when my next trip to Hong Kong may take place.  It may be next year, it may be the year after.  Or not.  Who knows.  The thing is, I shall remember to never live for tomorrow.  If I focus on what I may do or where I may go next year, I am likely missing out the present.  


Thanksgiving fast approaches.  It is one of the most significant and celebrated holidays in this country.  Eric and I tend to give thanks when we are grateful, not always on a mandated calendar date.  So the last Thursday of November is never a day I need to "get ready" for unless I decided to host a big party and serve a turkey. This year, I have decided to also host a dinner party on this pre-established holiday, but my guests will enjoy a breakfast spread for dinner instead of the typical 15-pounder from the farm.  Tradition and conformity has its place, but not necessarily at my dinner table. 


There are numerous things for which I am grateful and thankful.  Above all else, the mere fact that I am alive is enough to celebrate with yet another homemade buttermilk pancake and a side of Thunder Hooves bacon this Thursday.  



No comments:

Post a Comment