Friday, January 25, 2013

Daisy's Bread 'n Barter - Chapter 1


Flour Petals by Daisy is my virtual bakery.  It's a "CSA-type" bread basket home delivery service.  It has existed in my head for three years now, before I even knew how to bake simple bread.  My vision is to start a fresh bread delivery service that features my very own homemade bread baked from scratch.  Made with nothing but the finest ingredients, organic when available.  Always fresh.  Always delicious. Always baked with love and care.  


Artisan loaves, brioche french toast, cinnamon challah with seeds, wholesome whole wheat, classic white, coconut milk buns studded with my homemade candied orange rind, cream-cheese braids, homemade crackers, garlic-basil-sun dried tomato-pane bianco.  Sweet ones, savory ones, crusty top... I hyperventilate a little just typing this.  



My vision is to feed my fans with the best bread I can bake.  Not a traditional bakery, I don't keep inventory, and I don't bake everyday.  Like a CSA produce box, the customer receives the good fruits of my labor, with items at my discretion.  I envision myself wearing a clean but well worn apron, lovingly kneading and shaping balls of dough, skillfully scoring them with a razor blade (instead of a French-made authentic lame - beginning bakers, like poor artists, do not have the luxury of overspending on gadgets!)   

Few people have time to sit down and eat these days, let alone waiting for dough to rise.  Virtually every friend I know LOVES fresh bread.  Few have time to make bread with a bread machine, fewer know how to make bread by hand.  Even fewer know how to make  a variety of EXCELLENT bread from scratch, by hand.  And love doing so, purely for the creativity and fun of it.  I can do that.  I fill that void.  One loaf at a time.  My vision has merit, I am so sure of it.  And so I keep nurturing it in my head.  With experiment and practice, my repertoire grows.  

The idea must be so filled with promises that I started finding professional bakers with fresh bread and baked goods delivery services.  The first time my friend directed me to a website for it, I was so excited - yet upset - and I started tearing up.  What a strange bird.  I was excited for good reasons - "even the professionals are doing it!  See??"  I would declare to Eric.  "It's the real deal!"  At the same breath, I would feel so cheated and violated that "they" would steal "MY" idea.   And that "they" who know how to bake (really really well) would need to take my idea and profit from it.  Uggghhh!  I, one of the "little people," a home baker, who just want to bake and feed children fresh wholesome bread, was robbed and wronged! They plagiarized my idea! I was inconsolable. 

Drama queen. 

(to be continued)




No comments:

Post a Comment