Monday, May 20, 2013

Blankety Blank Blank

I have been on a business trip in Dallas, TX for 12 days, with 5 more to go.  It seems that we are doing good and important work here.  Launching a new business model, creating jobs, brewing good coffee, raising the Bar of Deliciousness.  It is an exciting new chapter for the business unit. 

I truly care about what I do, but I care about the people I work with and their well-being more. That becomes my sole reason to return to Crazy Town.  I strive to claim as little attachment as possible to the work I do, and I think it is healthy and wise to reduce it further to a new low.  Ironically, I believe one reaches greater and longer lasting outcome without any attachment to the preconceived notion of "success." 

I miss being home.  Being away from my protected fortress is hard, but perhaps relying on being home to find comfort is my crutch.  I realize I can't fully start my new life if I do not remove my crutches, if I do not find comfort on my own.  And so, I joined my project team who has been slogging through this hellish project for a full year and headed to Dallas.  This trip is for me, as much as it is for the project team. 

My mind has been blank because I have been doing nothing but work.  By definition, working is doing something in exchange for payment.  No matter how I justify applying creativity towards work, it is, still, a justification.  Once I exchange creativity with a paycheck, the recipient has just purchased a bunch of expectations.  I'm not sure exactly what my point is here.  Perhaps bringing up the awareness for consideration that "creating in exchange for a paycheck" will almost always, eventually, hamper true "creating." 

This incohesive writing is a direct result of my scattered brain.  My body needs rest, and my brain needs nourishment.

But today, May 20, my project team has reached a new milestone.  And I am going to take a moment and celebrate our heroic efforts with the good people.  We have been slogging through hell together for a long time.  For those who were truly involved, and rolled up their sleeves to get shit done - you are the sole reasons coffee is brewed today.

Godspeed, my good friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment