Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"Go forth, gently and with courage"


Today, I marked another New Normal.  

It was not a big deal to head to Mt. Rainier by myself.  It was an emotional deal.  I needed encouragement; a push and a nudge.  It's...complicated.  I finally mustered up my courage, my sandwich, snacks, water, map, and of course, a pair of long pants, a windbreaker, and an extra pair of socks, just in case.  

It was two years ago July we last visited Mt. Rainier.  She was and still is as magnificent as ever.  Serene.  Powerful.  It was at the beginning of my sabbatical, and an inaugural trip of the custom-built-sup'd-up-turbo-engine-diesel-powered-5-speed-EuroVan, which I affectionately named Albatross.  Eric wanted to test out 'Tross before our month-long road trip on the ALCAN.  

#          #          # 

I almost chickened out this morning.  I didn't want to visit Her without Eric.  I didn't need this new normal, I said.  So I did the inevitable:  I made myself a bagel sandwich with bacon and egg!  I never make this for breakfast anymore, but I know it would do magic.  

08:45.  I loaded up, determined to stare down my chicken-ness and mark another New Normal.  Determined to go forth, gently and with courage. 

A short 6 miles, 1700' gain on the Skyline Trail, and a fair share of teary moments later, I've decided that Our Mountain, shall always be our mountain.  I reached for another handful of almonds. Headed home.  

I didn't chicken out.  I didn't!   



July 31, 2013
Paradise View Point
Mt. Rainier, WA
July 7, 2011
Paradise View Point
Mt. Rainier, WA






































GASP!  Lunch is getting away!

Serene.  Powerful. Our Mountain.




































1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Scenery - Wish I was there... Glad you had a good day. Love, K

    ReplyDelete